Søbygaard Manor is located near Vitsø Nor, where the embankment was constructed in 1580. The manor is next to the medieval castle mound of Søby Volde, from the 12th century. The mounds are the remains of an elevated medieval castle, which is believed to have been built by the Danish Crown in the 12th century at the head of Vitsø Nor (a navigable cove at the time). Søby Volde is one of Denmark’s largest and most impressive castle mounds.